Saturday, July 17, 2010

Truth tables: DISJUNCTIONS

What I found really interesting was the Truth Tables.

It was mostly intriguing because of the initial complexity it shown right before you started reading. Glancing over the pages, it just looked like a bunch of A’s and B’s in ridiculous charts, but they’re actually really helpful after studying the lesson.

Let’s take the Disjunction (Or-claim) for example.
A disjunction claim is false only if both parts are false. Otherwise, the claim is true.


So my birthday is coming up, and I was brainstorming some ideas for birthday festivities and that’s when I said to myself, “I will travel to Europe on my birthday or I just won’t have a birthday at all.”

I can tell you right now, traveling to Europe is FALSE.
And you can’t just pretend you don’t have a birthday... That’s FALSE.

Thus, it is false.

I could have said, “I could travel to Europe on my birthday or I could just have a little party.” These are both truthful possibilities, thus it is true.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your post on truth tables and disjunctions. I in fact had a hard time with this portion of the reading in the book, it just didn't seem to click. But reading your post really helped me understand truth tables and disjunctions also. On a side note I seriously wanna go to Europe after the summer session ends. I am graduating and I think I need a break from 4 long years of college! I really want to go to Paris because I heard it was really nice over there. So yeah thanks for reminding me about Europe because I will definitely check it out soon!

    ReplyDelete