Monday, July 12, 2010

Chapter 8: Contradictories

In Chapter 8 of Epstein regarding General Claims and their Contradictories, I'm going to admit that I got kind of lost, moreso in a sense that I had to read, and re-read, and re-read...

"All," "some," "no," and "only," are common to use in regular discussion. Those are four words that I can use so nonchalantly and it wasn't until I read this chapter that I realized the use of these words could be totally bad, weak, or invalid, depending on how I utilize my arguments. The definitions of these words weren't the misleading parts that I had to re-read though. It's just interesting how meticulous the definitions get concerning critical thinking and arguing efficiently.

The contradictories was the confusing part! You could totally think you're saying something with the opposite truth value, but contrarily not!

Here's an example... I was at boiling crab the other day and I got a mild spice on my fries. (Which isn't even really spicy to me.) My friend says, "Some of them are really spicy!"

And before this chapter, I would think the contradictory would be to say, "Some of them are not really spicy." HOWEVER... the contradictory holding the most opposite truth value would be, "Not even one is spicy."

Kinda tricky, but so true when you think about the correct contradictories.

No comments:

Post a Comment