Monday, June 28, 2010

Chapter 6 Excluding possibilities

Generally speaking, the most common and useful concept explained in Epstein’s Chapter 6 Compound claims was the ‘Excluding Possibilities’ portion of Reasoning with “or” Claims. It was very clearly explained as one of the valid “or” compound claims.

And when I say that it’s useful, I mean I use it all the time.
If I had to elaborate on Excluding Possibilities in simpler terms, I would be merely talking about the process of elimination. It can’t be this, therefore it must be that. Or in more educational terms (as explained in the text), it’s also referred to as the disjunctive syllogism.


A or B

Not A, So B

It’s kind of like when my parents are trying to reason why I’m sleeping in so late on a Sunday morning: Either she stayed out late last night or she just enjoys sleeping in. Well they witnessed me walking through the door early and falling asleep last night, so I must just really love to sleep in. Sounds valid to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment